College opportunities open up for West Daniel’s Fund winner

Jarod Clark, Staff Writer

The Daniel’s Fund is a scholarship given to graduating high school seniors in Colorado, New Mexico, Wyoming and Utah. The students who are awarded this scholarship show exceptional character, leadership, and commitment to serving their community.

Greeley West senior Michelle Lopez was awarded the Daniel’s Fund this week and will now consider where the full-ride scholarship should be spent. “I worked really hard. Not only on the application process but also these past four years leading up to application,” Lopez said

Lopez is currently student body secretary, in addition to being a member of National Honor Society, a state qualifier for DECA, and a former reporter for the West Word.

The winner of the Daniel’s Fund is able to choose any college they want to attend and it is completely free – including living expenses and a computer. There are requirements to keep the scholarship that include getting a job and being able to maintain a certain GPA. Lopez is uncertain on where she would like to go, “I don’t know where I want to go yet. I’m going to tour a few out of state schools this month. I’m also leaning towards CU.”

Regardless of where Lopez ends up, she knows the Daniel’s Foundation just opened up a world of opportunity to her.  “Winning this scholarship means a lot because I can go to any school I want to. That opens up a lot of choices I can make and will help me in college a lot,” Lopez concluded.