Whyrick breaks 35-year old school record in shot put

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

On Saturday, April 7, the Greeley West track team traveled to Lakewood  to compete in the David S. D’Evelyn Invitational. However, this wasn’t the average outcome for the Spartans. Lauren Whyrick, a junior thrower for the Spartans, broke a shot put record that has been standing for over 35 years.

Whyrick threw 38 feet and 8 inches which was good enough to beat the previous record. This wasn’t her first time coming close to this record as she beat this record before, but ended up scratching on the throw. As a sophomore, she was always right around the 38 feet but never quit got it. “Each throw you could tell she was getting closer. We are only have way throw the season and she gets better every practice. I think she can really build off this and keep building the record to above 40 feet,” coach Greg McAdams said.

Whyrick is the No. 1 junior in Colorado after throwing this and is fourth in all of Colorado. She is planning on moving forward and move her way up to the top two places. “Beating the record was definitely one of my goals for the season and when I finally broke it I was in complete shock. All of the hard work I have done has defiantly paid off. I hope to be at least third, but I really believe I could get up to around 39 for second place,” Whyrick said.

The Spartans will face off against the cross town rival, Greeley Central on Friday. Central also has a top thrower in the state and Whyrick is looking forward to the competition.