Awesome academics: West rewards best kids

Megan Arscott

People say education brings light to the world, but for these Honor Crest winners, the auditorium remained dark.

Jana Datteri

Last Monday, students were awarded for their accomplishments and success at the 2018 Greeley West High School Awards Night.

Senior, Kaitlin Gorsline, received four awards including Outstanding Thespian Award, International Language Award, Outstanding IB Senior Student of the Year Award, and The Roger Johnson Award. Gorsline was also presented with a medal for being named the Salutatorian for the class of 2018. “I’m really proud that my hard work paid off and I’m super blessed to represent Greeley West this way. Even though I’m super competitive, I wouldn’t have wanted to come in second to anyone else.”

Senior Jackson Starkey was also presented with a medal for being named Valedictorian for the class of 2018. Along with being Valedictorian, Starkey was presented with the Outstanding Thespian Award and Outstanding IB Senior Student of the Year Award. Starkey was also announced for winning a National Merit Scholarship. The Outstanding IB Junior Award was given to Antonio Graham.

The highest award at Greeley West, the Honor Crest Award was given to seniors, Gorsline, Starkey, Ethan Shepherd, Liz Baylon Trejo, Cassandra Bradshaw, Megan Arscott, and Isael Ramirez. Senior, Ethan Shepherd stated, “I was really honored to have received the Honor Crest Award because it is really nice knowing that my hard work throughout my high school career has finally paid off.”