Wrestlers meet new coach

Brody Clark, Staff Writer

The Greeley West wrestling team has had a huge change in their program with longtime coach, Jim Martinez retiring. Martinez spent 11 of his 40 years coaching at Greeley West.

With all the achievements that Martinez accomplished, he is looking forward to the different adventures that lay ahead. “We are beyond grateful and lucky for his dedication to Greeley West and the time spent in the program. We were very fortunate to have that type of coach, coach the kids,” Ken Denning, the athletic director at West said.

Despite the Spartans losing an 11-year coach, they are very happy to announce that JJ Behrens will be the new head coach. Behrens has a long background of wrestling and has been coaching for 15 years. He has coached at Sterling, Wray, and Gering and was most recently coaching at Chapparal High School. Behrens and his family decided to come back to Colorado and wanted to move back to Greeley, where he went to UNC.

“I know how much of a legacy coach I am replacing and I am so lucky to have that opportunity. Jim was legit, and I did get the chance to coach against him a few times. With the program, obviously I want to try and make it a top program in Colorado. Greeley West has had tough wrestlers in the past, and that’s the goal for this year,” Behrens said.

Behrens held a wrestling meeting last Tuesday in the commons at for wrestlers and parents to meet Behrens.