Gatsby party’s goal is to allow students the opportunity to experience 1920s culture

Mr. Troy Jarrells class decorated his room to prepare for Fridays 1920s party.

Jana Datteri

Mr. Troy Jarrell’s class decorated his room to prepare for Friday’s 1920s party.

Jana Datteri, Staff Writer

English teacher, Mr. Troy Jarrell, and his sixth hour English class put together a 1920s party based on The Great Gatsby on Friday afternoon.  Students spent Thursday afternoon transforming the room into the mansion of one of the main characters’ extravagant parties, Jay Gatsby.

“I thought of this idea because when reading this book I really wanted my students to get to experience one of these extravagant parties thrown by Jay Gatsby since it was such an important part of the storyline,” Jarrell said.

Students are bringing in foods such as, Alfredo pasta (based on the popularity of Italian food in the 1920’s) apple cider, shrimp cocktail, devil eggs, garlic potatoes, and upside down pineapple cake. Junior Joseph Piacenza dressed up and brought a candy cigarette because of the popularity in smoking and providing the appliances for the party.

“I was really excited to decorate after school and experience one of Jay Gatsby’s party as much as I can. I think this is a really fun activity that Jarrell is letting us do,” Piacenza stated.