Long-time West swimmer becomes full-time Spartan

Kylee Bullard, Staff Writer

Anybody who has followed Greeley West sports knows of senior Josie Carpenter.  But now, one of West’s best athletes will actually attend the school that she competes for.

Carpenter originally went to Union Colony, where she had attended classes since sixth grade. There were many reasons for Carpenter’s’ transfer to West.  Carpenter wanted the opportunity to go to school where she competed athletically.  “The main reasons were for educational reasons and athletics,” she said.

Carpenter has been swimming at West since her freshman year because Union Colony lacks most sports that are found at typical public high schools. It made sense for her to transfer to West because she was already involved here.

Another reason for her transfer was for the school spirit.  Since most school spirit comes from excitement around sports, Union Colony didn’t feel like a place Carpenter felt supported by the student body and staff.

So far, Carpenter is enjoying getting to know different people and her new teachers for her last year of high school.  She has also found a way to be involved in activities outside of just swimming.  She has joined the art club where students will paint murals in classrooms.  Carpenter said the project will allow her to get more familiar with the school.

And of course, she is still doing what she loves:  swimming for the Spartans.