New social studies teacher adjusts to West’s size, freshmen students

Mr. Ryan Hilbig lectures to his Street Law students last week.  Hilbig is one of the 
newest members of the West staff, after moving from the Western Slope this past summer.

Haylie Juhl

Mr. Ryan Hilbig lectures to his Street Law students last week. Hilbig is one of the newest members of the West staff, after moving from the Western Slope this past summer.

Haylie Juhl, Staff Writer

Mr. Ryan Hilbig is a new social studies teacher from Cedaredge, Colorado. Greeley West is his third school in his eight years of teaching.

At West, Hilbig teaches U.S. History to sophomores and Street Law to freshmen. He looks forward to facing a new challenge:  Hilbig has never taught freshmen before.  He’s hoping that he will grow as a teacher as a result of working with the freshmen.

Hilbig started his teaching career studying at Colorado State University. At Cedaredge high school, Hilbig’s last school, the social studies department had a total of two teachers.  The department was small because the school was small:  Cedaredge had just 300 kids who attended.

1600 stduents in one spot was probably a shock to Hilbig.  He said, “ I really like the energy here! There’s always something going on; good and bad, but it’s a lot of fun.”

Hilbig is really excited to get into the new school year with a new and bigger community of social studies teachers.

Hilbig  hopes he can touch many lives and achieve a great school year. Hilbig said, “ I’m looking forward  to getting to know students and connect with a new school and build a new community.”