Yellow ribbons handed out last week

Gavonne Goodwin, Staff Writer

Last week was national suicide prevention week and on Wednesday, homerooms at Greeley West did a “Yellow Ribbon” presentation. Yellow Ribbon cards were handed out last year and it was advised that the students keep that card with them.

The Yellow Ribbon program was started nationwide to help those who feel like they have no one to turn toward or are feeling suicidal. The card has a phone number and textable number for anyone to be able to contact if needed. The phone number and text number is: 1-800-273-TALK (8255), TEXT ‘Help’ to 741741.

The presentation had a ten-minute video on how to ask for help if needed, and how the yellow ribbon program got started. The students in the video explained what they’ve been through and how the Yellow Ribbon helped them and their friends.

The following Friday, the cheerleaders handed out more cards and a yellow ribbon pin for new students who were not enrolled at West last year and encouraged students to keep with them. The card’s intent is for anyone to show that they need help. It is a cry for help. The card advises anyone who has those feels to go to a counselor, teacher, clergy, doctor, parent or a friend, with the card. The yellow ribbon pin is a symbol of support.

“The idea over all was good. It’s good that they’re making people feel comfortable and that they’re addressing the issue,” said senior Destiny Moreno. “The card is a good resource for anyone if they’re feeling that way or they know someone who feels that way.”