IB students bowl, play laser tag to bond at annual retreat

Kylee Bullard, Staff Writer

The Greeley West International Baccalaureate program challenges students and prepares them for college through college-level classes, extended essays, personal projects, and multiple tests at the end of the year.  Since IB puts a lot of strain on students due to the rigor, the staff at the school gives them an IB retreat every year.

The IB students get together and leave the school to do activities.  Later in the day the freshman and sophomores  split from the juniors and seniors to discuss their projects/extended essay.

This year for the retreat, the students went to Chippers Lane to bowl and play laser tag. Senior Dafnee Flores along with other IB seniors, mentored two juniors for their upcoming senior year while having fun. The goal that the seniors wanted to get across to the juniors was to show them the ropes of IB, meaning how to do well in this rigorous program.

“They wanted us to bond as a group and use our IB learner traits in a fun way,” stated senior Rosie Carmona.

Another activity that seemed to benefit the IB students was the fact that the teachers helped break down how to write an “A” worthy college essay.

“It will benefit us because colleges won’t teach us how to write an essay; they just expect us to know,” stated Flores.