Prop 112 debate spills into high school student conversations too

Nicholas Ortiz, Staff Writer

Proposition 112 is the bill that, if passed, will limit oil extraction operations to 2,500 feet away from the nearest occupied dwelling. This bill has caused much turmoil among the residents of Greeley and the greater Colorado state due to its restrictive nature.

Many proponents of the bill state that it is imperative to restrict the distance of oil operations to 2,500 feet because of the potential of dangerous fumes being released from the ground and oil spills. Last summer, a plug-and-abandon site was shut down by the state after Crestone Peak Resources violated safety standards just 25 yards from the Aspen Ridge Elementary School playground. The site was reportedly releasing carcinogenic fumes over the playground.

On the other hand, opponents of the bill state that it’s restrictive and will hurt the economy. 147,000 Coloradans are reported to lose their jobs, 113,000 of which that are not even in the oil industry according to a study commissioned by the Common Sense Policy Roundtable.

With conflicting views on both sides of support, the real question is what do the people of Greeley West think about this bill? Billy Buchanan, a Greeley West senior and eligible voter, said this when asked about his stance on the bill: “While it may hurt the economy, it is important to protect our environment and ensure people have a safe living environment”.

Another Greeley West student, senior Christopher Summers, responded: “In my opinion, I think the Colorado economy would take too large of a blow from this bill, all voters should prevent Proposition 112 from becoming law.”