IB senior sets sights on Colorado School of Mines

Luisa Zamora, Staff Writer

Senior Daniela Hirsch, is already taking the first steps in preparing for her college pathway. She has recently been accepted to Colorado School of Mines and officially committed last Wednesday night.

She had been looking forward to going to Mines since she was younger but really decided it was for her during her sophomore year. She has always been interested in going into a career with science, especially since her dad is a science teacher. She also started looking into medical options for school because her mother is a doctor. However, she was interested in other career paths during her first years of high school. She has now decided she wants to be a biomedical engineer; her major will be Chemical Engineering and her minor will be Biomedical.

Hirsch has visited the School of Mines campus twice and also has a friend who attends the school. She plans on visiting her friend soon and staying there in order to experience campus life more. She chose Mines as opposed to CU, which has an exceptional engineering program, because it has a smaller campus. It is also close to Denver and Boulder and she can use the light rail.

To get into Mines, the average SAT score is a 1400 and the average GPA is 3.8. Daniela worked hard in order to reach a score that would compete with other students applying. She fell in the middle of Mines’ students by scoring a 1360 on the SAT. She believe IB has helped prepare her for college and helped her get into Mines because they were the most challenging classes offered at West.

Hirsch is looking forward to starting at Mines and feels she is prepared. Her parents are very excited also and are proud of her.

“I’m really looking forward to going to Mines, I really enjoy the atmosphere,”  said Hirsch.