West Word

LULAC shares Dia de los Muertos traditions with West

Evelin Chanchavac, Staff Writer

Greeley West LULAC will honor the tradition of Dia de los Muertos by building their very own altar. LULAC will be decorating Calaveras (skeletons), flowers, origami, and other traditional altar decor. The altar will be located in the showcase by the girl’s bathroom.

LULAC hopes to give light to this holiday in which their past ancestors are celebrated. In Mexico and other countries Dia de los Muertos is a three day holiday starting October 31st and ending November 2nd. This altar will be a representation of different backgrounds coming together to honor the dead. Many of the lunch ladies here at West have also been a part of the process of making the altar by donating decoration.

This altar is open to anyone that would want to add anything to honor a dead loved one.

LULAC member Alejandra Marquez stated, “We are creating this altar for other students to teach them of the Mexican culture.”

LULAC advisor Annette Quintana although unfamiliar with the tradition of Dia de los Muertos stated, “I am learning throughout this process about the Latin community more, being raised in Puerto Rico this wasn’t something we did and to see the process has been very fun and will be beneficial to the students here at Greeley West.”

About the Writer
Evelin Chanchavac, Staff Writer

Evelin Chanchavac is currently a junior at Greeley West High School. She is involved in Student Council, Dream Team, AVID, and LULAC. When she’s not busy at school she loves spending time with her family and friends. She loves going dancing and meeting new people.