Greeley West Alumni give advice after starting the fall semester of college

Jayden Phipps, Staff Writer

The month of September is approaching which means that former students pursuing their post-secondary degrees are starting their first semester of college for the fall season. Many students from Greeley West have graduated from high school and have been successful enough to be accepted and continue their education at universities around Colorado and the United States. 

The transition from high school to college can be different for every student; but for most, adapting to the new atmosphere can be a monumental change that takes getting used to in order to find success. A few Greeley West alumni share their experience with the intent to better prepare the future generations in their transitions into college students. 

Jonathan Ordonez just started his freshman year of college at UNC after recently graduating from West in 2019. He stated, “the biggest difference [between high school and college] was probably the amount of independence; you get the freedom to make decisions and choose what to major in and what classes you take and when you take them during the week. Also, apply for scholarships and grants and try to get as much of your schooling paid for because college is a huge investment and getting some of the costs covered will benefit you in the long run.”

Oscar Flores is a sophomore at Colorado State University and is an alumni from Greeley West’s graduating class of 2018. He said, “The advice I would give to someone in high school looking to continue their education into college would be that you shouldn’t be afraid to leave home. It opens up more opportunities and really helps you grow as a person.”

Overall, the transition from high school into college might be intimidating, but if you prepare and get involved, alumni can confirm that your college years will be a success.