Seniors found summer internships to be valuable learning opportunities

Jayden Phipps, Staff Writer

Last spring, the junior counselor Ms. Deli Sambur gathered the class of 2020 to inform them of a huge opportunity. The juniors had the chance to participate in the district summer internship program where they could be employed over the summer by a company around the community and get experience in the career field of their choice. All they had to do was create a resume, get two letters of recommendation and go through an interview process in order to secure the job. 

The intent behind the summer internships was for the kids to get experience in the field of their interest that could possibly influence their future career decisions. The experience would give students an insight on post-high school work life and help them decide what they do or do not want to do in terms of employment in the future.

Senior Simon Tesfaselassie participated in this opportunity and was an intern at the Banner Heath Pharmacy. “I wasn’t too sure about going into the pharmacy when I first went into this internship, but after this summer, I realized this is a possible career for me,” Tesfaselassie said. 

Banner Health wasn’t the only facility in Greeley that offered internships. Students from District 6 got employment over the summer at Aims, district facilities, daycare centers, Vestas and various automotive shops around town.

“My internship gave me experience as a worker that I didn’t have before. It helped introduce me into various positions within the automotive industry, senior Oscar Perez Luna said.  “They gave me the opportunity to see almost all aspects of the business that happens everyday and even hired me after the internship was over.” 

Greeley West has always been dedicated to pushing students to think about college and their future. Whether it be through various programs like Gear Up and Dream Team, there are resources for students to use. This internship program is just another resource to get students involved in the community and preparing for their future.