Greeley West Unified Sports team recognized nationally

Jayden Phipps, Staff Writer

West’s remarkable Unified Sports program is one of 174 schools nationally to be acknowledged as a 2019 Unified Champion Special Olympics National Banner School. 

West is also one out of over 7000 Unified Champion schools in the United States. West has earned this title by exemplifying dedication to inclusion, collaboration, engagement and respect for all members of the student body and staff.

West’s Unified Sports team has been very successful in the past as they have made two state appearances in bowling and basketball. The team is comprised with a group of passionate, caring students that are thrilled to be able to play the sports that they love in a supportive environment.

Unified coach Ms. Nicole Beaton, said,  “The team and everyone who has volunteered their time helped make this possible because they have worked hard to create an inclusive environment that accepts everyone regardless of ability, background, or experience.”

Beaton said she is proud to work in a school that has supported the Unified Sports teams.  “Earning the title of being a Special Olympics Unified Sports National Banner school is such a huge honor to our school and our community. This title shows that our school has the compassion to accept students with all abilities and that we are committed to inclusion. This in and of itself proves that Greeley West is the Best!”