Broken leg leaves business teacher out for excessive amount of time

Mr.+Richard+Dufault+points+to+the+screen+using+his+crutch+during+class+on+Monday.++Dufault+returned+to+work+last+week+after+suffering+a+broken+leg+during+a+biking+accident.++

Jorge Vazquez

Mr. Richard Dufault points to the screen using his crutch during class on Monday. Dufault returned to work last week after suffering a broken leg during a biking accident.

Jorge Vazquez, Staff Writer

Missing school, work, or any important priority for three weeks is very stressful. Greeley West business teacher Richard Dufault had never missed more than a week in his teaching career – and then he missed the first three full weeks of this school year.   

Dufault had a terrible biking accident resulting in a broken leg.  In addition to the stress over missed school, the injury caused a significant amount of stress to Dufault’s family.   “My son’s wedding was just nine days out,” Dufault said.

Dufault also felt like he put a lot of pressure on his wife, Karen. She has had to make the household easier and more available for him. As Dufault struggles with multiple things, transportation isn’t a problem for him. “Driving helps tremendously, and takes some weight off my wife’s shoulder,” Dufault said.

One thing that made Dufault come back so soon and to not take a longer recovery suggested by his doctors was the students and the Greeley West family. “This is the longest time I’ve missed in 35 years,” Dufault explained.  “I’ve been pushing myself to come back.” 

With Dufault out for the first weeks of school, Ms. Kory Zulauf was a great help to his students and substitutes, which he truly appreciated.  “She did a fantastic job to get lessons out and help the subs,” Dufault said. 

While Dufault is in a situation where it prevents him to move quickly –  or even walk, for that matter  – with his crutches,  he still pushes himself to make it through each day.  His students agree he is mentally and physically returning to form as a teacher.  

“He’s good.  He’s up and about every day helping kids with their work,” senior Business Communications student Dillon Inskeep said.  “Even with crutches, it doesn’t slow him down.”