Pep assembly energizes student body before rivalry game

Yonas Kahase

The Greeley West football team rallies the student body during the assembly on Friday.

Yonas Kahase and Esperanza Garcia

Sometimes a pep assembly actually does energize a school.  Such was the case on Friday after first period for the annual West-Central assembly.

Highlighted by a fight between a Wildcat and Spartacus, a terrified bat flying around the gym, and a banner celebration for the boys swimming team’s state title from last Spring, students left the gym energized for Friday nights’ football game.

In addition, Spartan football coach Mr. Jason Renouf introduced his seniors to the crowd and principal Mr. Jeff Cranson and English teacher Mr. Troy Jarrell had pies smashed into their faces.

The Poms brought back their Marching Band routine to sensational applause from staff and students alike and the cheerleaders motivated the crowd with West spirit shouts.

Football player and senior Eddie Ramirez likes to focus that the pep assembly brings to the West-Central festivities.  “I think they are the heart of the spirit. That’s where everyone gets ready for the game, Ramirez said. 

Isabelle Teets thought the assembly capped a good spirit week overall.  “I think the pep assembly does help the school’s spirit. Obviously West-Central week is a huge deal for us and celebrating the upcoming game through the pep assembly is a really good way to bring the students closer together and get them excited about the game,” Teets said.