Aims is the stepping stone to higher education for West upperclassmen

Ava Stephens, Staff Writer

Concurrent Enrollment is one of the easiest ways for high school students to start earning college credit. 

Aims offers both college and high school credit for completed concurrent enrollment classes that can be taken both online and on campus.

Most classes are offered for free, with the only fees you have to pay being anything the class might require, such as scrubs and shoes for the Medical Preparatory program.

These classes are offered much cheaper than the original cost, where the average college class costs upwards to $500 a semester. This is what makes concurrent enrollment so enticing for many who aren’t able to pay the rising costs of college.

Senior Genesis Hernandez is a part of the medical preparatory program at Aims. 

“I want to get a head start in life and so I decided to do Med Prep. It’s basically a career academy through Aims so that by the end of my senior year I will be a Certified Nursing Assistant,” Hernandez said.

Concurrent Enrollment is a great way for students to figure out what they really want to do in college before they fully commit to the price.

Hernandez explained that, “I wanted to see if the medical field was the right path for me and so far I am finding that it’s what I really want to do in college. I love learning about the human body and how I can help people.”