Dramatic Lit class walks red carpet to celebrate midterm project

Yonas Kahase

Mr. Troy Jarrell guides Melanie Zambrano Lopez down the red carpet for his project during Dramatic Lit on Friday, October 25.

Yonas Kahase, Staff Writer

Language Arts classes can be pretty boring with lots of reading and writing, followed by standardized tests measuring proficiency.  Mr. Troy Jarrell assigned his Dramatic Literature class a project to interact with Shakespeare’s Taming of the Shrew.

The story is about how a man “trains” his wife to be a good, compliant woman.  The comedy ensues when the two confront one another about gender roles.  As an assignment for this reading, students were to complete a film that was no more than five minutes long recreating a scene from the play.

Students were served nachos as part of the activity.

Jarrell’s project was due on October 25 and his students dressed up for a Red Carpet presentation, as if they were at a movie premiere.  The project was worth 600 points and was considered the class’s midterm.  Students acted, directed and edited their films over the course of three weeks before the premiere.

Each class had a winner that was selected by votes from the class.

“To film the film was a little hard because you got to have a space where you can film the video and as a group. Everyone in the group has different things to do so this film wasn’t easy. Like you have to film it first and edit it when you are done with it you got to check is everything good and it is not that easy to edit what,” Sabrina Casiano said.