Winter arrived, schools stayed open

Cars+are+parked+out+of+wack+in+the+north+lot+after+snow+fell+and+covered+up+the+parking+spaces.++West+students+thought+they+deserved+a+day+off+for+the+snow+earlier+this+week.++

Evan DeMeyer

Cars are parked out of wack in the north lot after snow fell and covered up the parking spaces. West students thought they deserved a day off for the snow earlier this week.

Evan DeMeyer, Staff Writer

This last week at Greeley West, snow kept coming in but there was no closure in sight for the school district. 

Sunday night, the snow came down throughout the night. Many students got excited due to the thought of no school in the morning. Many students woke up in disarray as they saw that school was still on for the day. With much disappointment, the students (or at least some of them) showed up to school.

On Monday morning, there was about three inches of snow on the ground and it was 20 degrees at the warmest. Students like junior Javon Aragon were very upset about the school day not getting canceled. “I was hoping all throughout Sunday night that I could wake up to see the no school message on Facebook,” Aragon said. 

Aragon tore his ACL and had surgery on it a few weeks ago. “The cold really doesn’t feel good on my leg. It gives me sharp pains and is no fun,” Aragon said, who said he had hoped one of the next two days resulted in a snow day.  

However, the next two days did not force school closures either.  The snow continued to come down but the only sign of relief  students found was a two-hour delay on Wednesday, following Tuesday night cancellations of all school events, including Trick Or Treat Street and the girls volleyball game against Rocky Mountain.

Junior Tanner Elder was very disappointed about the lack of a school day. “We really shouldn’t have had school on Tuesday. It was super snowy and I could hardly drive here,” Elders said.