Voters approve bond measure for new Greeley West building

A Greeley West student walks to class during third period down the 600 hallway two years ago, dodging trash cans as he goes.  This wont be a problem for future Spartans after the community passed Bond Issue 4C on Tuesday night.

Connor Fagan

A Greeley West student walks to class during third period down the 600 hallway two years ago, dodging trash cans as he goes. This won’t be a problem for future Spartans after the community passed Bond Issue 4C on Tuesday night.

Nathaniel Rudolph, Staff Writer

Throughout the start of the 2019-2020 school year, District 6 has pushed the passing of bond issue 4C. There has been tours, informational videos and many more activities to spread awareness of the Greeley West conditions and the rapidly expanding population. On Tuesday, votes came in and decided the fate of the bond, which was a close win for the District and the community at West.

For most teachers and students, the bond is a steppingstone to a better education environment and to help accommodate the rapid expansion. It will help the major problems with the deteriorating school, including but not limited to the infrastructure and other dwindling parts of the school.

Teachers especially have expressed their appreciation for the bond and how they are having joyful yet mixed feelings about the passing of 4C, since it will raise taxes but also improve their workspace and the productivity of the students learning.

Greeley West staff member Mr. Jeremi Redman said, “I am really happy for the chance to get a new school to better suit the students and teachers, because if it didn’t pass it would be very discouraging and teachers would’ve had to work with less.”

“I would’ve been very disappointed that the community wouldn’t of understood the needs of education and the students,” said Spanish teacher Ms. Antonia San Roque. “Since it passed, I’m very thrilled to have the opportunity to work in a new school, and have my students working in a new environment.

Even a retiring music teacher at Chappelow, Ms. Kris Peirce stated, “We needed 4C for our students, and I’m happy people knew what was right.”

From the perspective of students, the viewpoints were definitely divided. Greeley West sophomore Ryan Arscott said, “I felt that 4C was wrong and was a terrible idea to begin with. It will make taxes go through the roof, and will not be fun for the people that will have to pay twice as much for paying the supporters of the bond.”

Greeley Central student Casbah Parlin totally disagreed and found the modest tax increase necessary. ”I was supporting 4C, because most bills ask for money towards education but 4C addressed the actual school buildings and coming from central I can account for overcrowded schools,” Parlin said. 

With the new bond in place, the district can start on plans for new additions and rebuilding of schools, even though some citizens of Greeley didn’t like the fact of a second tax raise fore education in the past three years. The 4C bond is a major accomplishment in that it only took one try to pass, as 3A took two tries to pass.

Many people were certain the bond would not pass, but with a team of supporters and an army of teachers, the bond passed with a percentage of yes/for votes coming in at about 52 percent. It was a race from start to finish but it pulled through to the end.

This is a major achievement for District 6, as the community and staff came together to make a better experience for students and teachers, some just might say, “it was truly a miracle.”