Volleyball team readies for first postseason appearance in 12 years

Kylie

The Greeley West volleyball team celebrates a point against Greeley Central earlier this season.

Jayden Phipps, Staff Writer

At the beginning of the year, Greeley West volleyball coach Mr. Lester Thorne had all of the girls on the varsity team set a goal. The goal was to get 10 regular season wins, and then hope to go to regionals after that.

The reality of reaching the goal came closer and closer as the Spartan’s team had a very successful season, finishing with a record of 11-12. 

West’s volleyball team had not earned more than six wins in any of the past five years.  The Spartans had not landed a post-season invitation since 2007.

The thing that made the difference within the team was playing with confidence and realizing that the team would be able to compete in the difficult 5A Front Range League if they put their minds to it.

Starting in April, the athletes made a commitment and dedication to the team. The girls had open gyms and conditioning clinics as well as tournaments and camps to attend all spring and summer. All the work they’ve put in this year had really paid off in season.

“We’ve never been able to compete in the 5A league in previous years,” said senior Mia Pena. “But this year, from the beginning, we had everybody on the same page, coming into the gym everyday to work. And that’s how we’ve gotten this far.”

The volleyball team will travel to Legend High School for a doubleheader on Saturday against Legend and Fruita Monument.  The first game starts at 9 a.m.  The Spartans will need to beat both teams to qualify for the state tournament the following weekend.