West’s forensics team finds fun as they prepare to win

Esperanza Garcia, Staff Writer

The Greeley West forensics team is determined to make a name for itself at meets during this speech and debate season.  New coach Mr. Troy Jarrell said the season is going great so far.

“There are a lot of new team members and they are working really hard,” Jarrell said. 

This season’s topic for debate is “Should America subsidize fossil fuels?”

Jarrell believes the forensic team is more of a sport rather than a club. He hopes to accomplish three things. First, he wants the students to have fun. Second, he hopes they learn something along the way. Finally, he wants them to win. 

Jarrell said, “My overall goal is to get some of the kids to qualify for state, possibly even nationals.”

Gabriella Lam and Ariel Montez are some of the many students that participate in Greeley West forensic team. 

Montez joined the Forensic team because at first she was interested in debate. Where as Lam joined because she just moved here and wanted to try new things. 

When asked what they wanted to accomplish this year in forensics, Montez replied, “I would like to be less awkward at speaking.”

In comparison Lam says, ” Well I have been interested in theater for a while, and forensic is like a branch off of theater.”

Preparing for a speech or debate can differ depending on the person. Montez prepares by practicing in front of her teammates. She said, “They all give us feedback.”

Lam prepares by getting up early on competition days. She responded, ” Competition days are very long. We just have to practice and practice. There are people there from all across Weld County. Sometime we just play games to ease the tension.”

Both Montez and Lam hope to join the forensic team next year. Montez said, ” I love how it’s very member orientated. We all have lots of fun.”

Lam agreed, saying, “I think I will definitely be joining next year.”