Flaky finale: STUCO decks halls for final weeks

Kathryn Broderius

Senior Kendra Roth tapes snowflakes to the walls earlier this month, continuing a tradition that goes back decades.

Kathryn Broderius, Staff Writer

On the Tuesday following Thanksgiving break, students walked into West to find a flurry of snowflakes that filled the school hallways.

For as long as anyone at West can remember, Student Council has taken on the daunting task of cutting, gluing and writing the name of every student and faculty members on an individual snowflake. The snowflakes are then hung all around the school for people to find.

With finals week and winter break fast approaching, Student Council member, Caitlyn Jacobsen explained that the snowflake tradition, “Brings a smile to everyone’s faces.”

The tradition also acts as a way to include everyone at West and create the feel of one large community.
Ms. Susie Matson, noted that, “The tradition has been around for quite a long time. It’s a tradition that I love and many people look forward to it each year, I would hate to see it die out.”

Matson and her student, office assistants have helped STUCO over the past years to meet the quota for snowflakes to ensure the tradition continues. The snowflake project begins in early October, before the thought of real snow has crossed anyone’s minds.

However, over the past few years with the increased student population, STUCO felt like it was time to call upon other clubs at the school to help them carry on the tradition. Especially since STUCO makes an effort to support all the activities and clubs at West.

Each club was asked to sign up and make 100 snowflakes to add to the pile. This ultimately allowed for more people to get involved as well as rally around a school wide cause.

Student council vice president Jayden Armstrong added, “Everyone gets a unique one because just like snowflakes everyone is unique.”

The old tradition with a new twist has yet, once again, brought to life the holiday spirit at West and will continue on for many years to come.