Students find ways to give at school, in community

Jayden Phipps, Staff Writer

It is the holiday season and students at Greeley West are doing extra things to make a difference for other people’s Christmas’ around the community.

The kids and staff are organizing different opportunities to donate to kids and families around the  community so that less-fortunate families can still enjoy Christmas.

Every year, every homeroom class adopts an Angel Tree kid. Each kid that is apart of this program writes a wishlist of things that he wants but can’t afford around Christmas time. Each class gets a kid and  everyone pitches to buy the kid the Christmas presents that he or she wants. Close to Christmas time, all the gift baskets and presents are assembled to be delivered to the less fortunate kids to brighten up their holidays.

Many kids who practice religion at West participate in some sort of fundraiser or event to help other people around Christmas time with their church. Many churches are opening up their doors for people to stay when it gets cold, and they even provide food and warm drinks.

Senior Konnor Dilka, who attends Trinity Episcopal church, participates in the annual food drive at his church. “We always go to the store with my parents and buy tons of food for people. It’s a good feeling- It’s nice knowing that you’re making a difference in someone else’s whole holiday just by a simple donation,” Dilka said.

At the Church of Latter Day Saints, a giving tree is planned where participants draw names of less fortunate families in the Greeley area. The job for the giving family is to come up with an array of things to give the family for Christmas. Senior Navy Swapp says,”In some cases, the presents that these families receive as apart of the giving tree are the only things they get during the holidays. The reason I give back is because I love knowing that I can volunteer and really do something for someone in need during this time.”