Family reenacts grandma getting run over yearly

Ava Stephens, Staff Writer

There’s one Christmas movie that seems to be the weirdest: My Grandma Got Ran Over by a Reindeer.
For freshman Troy Martinez, his family reenacts one scene from the movie every year: when grandma gets run over by a reindeer.

His family bought a special reindeer and decorated it to be the centerpiece of their Christmas  decorations. The reindeer is equipped with a red bow and a Santa hat, and is standing in the middle of his lawn.

“Every year, my grandma and the rest of my family comes down to visit and we reenact this scene. It’s kind of weird, but it’s just what we’ve been doing since I was a little kid.” Trujillo explains.

For the scene, Trujillo’s grandma is walking home and his cousins are playing in the yard. Trujillo’s main role is to make the reindeer move and hit his grandma. (With no actual pain being dealt to his grandma.)

The reindeer rears up and charges towards his grandma, running her over! The cousins surround her, shouting and crying over their grandma being ran over.

At the end of the scene, grandma is carried away to the “North Pole” to receive treatment from Mr. Claus, played by Trujillo’s uncle.

“It’s just a lot of fun, even though it might be weird to some people, it’s just what my family does and I think everyone should try and have some fun during Christmas.”