Thescon field trip is entertaining, educational

Kathryn Broderius, Staff Writer

A group of West theatre students spent this past weekend in Denver where they explored the many areas of theatre, from stage crew management to actual play productions, at Colorado’s 55th Thespian Convention.

Students of all grades, who participate in theatre, went to experience the spectacle, have some fun and even learn a few things. They accompanied nearly 6,000 other middle and high school thespian members from Colorado, New Mexico and Wyoming. While at Thescon, West stayed overnight in the Double Tree hotel in downtown Denver to get the whole experience.

For senior Ashley Cullen, who is a senior and veteran Thescon attendee, her favorite part was, “The ability that we get to immerse ourselves into theatre at a different level and bond with our classmates.”

Even though students learned a lot about theatre, which included important skills such as lights and special effects, they also picked up some fun skills such as miming and stage makeup. Wyatt Sands added that in addition to all the skills they picked up, he loved when, “We got to watch a really good
play and eat out at delicious restaurants.” The Cheese Cake Factory was a fan favorite.

Overall, the trip was both insightful and enjoyable, filled with many memories that will last with students even if they don’t peruse theatre as a career later in life.