Summer prep leads to early wins for wrestling team

Kathryn Broderius, Staff Writer

West’s wrestling team used summer to do way more than just wrestle.

West’s wrestling team put in the work this summer to bond and prepare them for the season ahead.
This summer coach Mr. J.J. Behrens made sure West wrestlers engaged with the community while they earned money for the program. The team participated in several services projects where they picked up trash and worked at the Buckle Club for the Greeley Stampede, as well as set up for the Blues Jam and a pee wee wrestling clinic.

While the team was out and about, “Members of the community asked the boys a lot of questions so it was cool to see them engage and good for us to get our name out there,” said Behrens.

This is Behrens’ second year as the head coach which sets the team up for greater success because the expectations and standards have already been set. He explained, “I’m excited to start the season because we are way farther ahead in work and technique and the overall expectations in the room. The boys are working hard so it should pay off in the end with some wins and some success.”

Even after the wresting room flooded after an old pipe burst back in late October, the room is fixed and been put back into use, with hope that the same event won’t happen again.

As or the wrestlers themselves, the season is already off to a good start as they won their combined match against both, Northridge and Fossil Ridge.

Sophomore Hunter Clark stated that, “We have a lot of people out this season and new things going on in the program including, new equipment as well as new coaches and staff.”

The team set their ultimate goal for the season as athletes, to get at least five wrestlers to state and students to improve the team’s overall GPA.