Three West seniors sign to play college sports

Jayden Phipps, Staff Writer

The national average of high school kids that go on to play sports at the collegiate level is only  seven percent.  High school students around the country who are interested in playing at the next level can make scouting profiles and upload highlight videos for college coaches to view, but even then the chances of getting interest from coaches is low unless you have serious talent. 

Three seniors who were all leaders on teams of their individual sports spent their high school careers working towards one goal: playing a sport in college. These individuals spent hours upon hours in the gym or on the field improving their game so that their skills would be recognized by recruiters. It takes a different type of person to excel in the classroom and in a sport and these student-athletes exemplify exactly what this means. 

Multi-sport athlete Mia Pena signed to play volleyball at Colorado Northwestern Community College Rangley, CO. She was captain for the varsity volleyball team who made a regionals appearance this year. 

Senior Kendra Roth signed to play a soccer, a sport she’s played her whole life, at Otero College in La Junta, CO. She has played the sport at school, recreationally, and competitively and had experience refereeing as well. Her undeniable knowledge of the game and strive to win combined with talent helped her earn a spot on the 2020 soccer roster at this university. 

Football player Hugo Castillo also signed a letter of intent to play for Chadron State College in Chadron, Nebraska. Castillo was a big part of the football team the last four years and has put a lot of effort into creating a scouting profile with highlight videos to get recruited. After touring many schools and learning about their programs, he secured his spot at Chadron.