Not every high school class is necessary in your life.

Esperanza Garcia, Editorialist

High schools in Greeley require you to have a minimum of 22 credits in order to get your diploma. However are all the classes that are required of you necessary to your life?

Yes, indeed some of them are.  Of course everyone can always improve their English, no matter if it is reading, writing, or speaking. However classes like math are very unnecessary. Yes, you need basic math in life. However, when are you going to buy 30 watermelons? Or when are you going to have to use an equation to solve the area of a stop sign? 

High school should prepare you for college. For example if you want to be a lawyer, doctor, mechanic, or teacher, you should be taking classes that will prepare you for the degree you are trying to get. 

Your career of choice should determine how much math, science, or history you should take in high school. Yes, if you are an accountant or engineer, among other jobs of course you are going to need to know complex math. However if you are going to be something like a English teacher, psychologist, dentist, and more you just need to know basic math. So why waste people’s time in high school, making them learn about things they are never going to use again in their life? 

You might say, “What if the students don’t know what they want to do after high school?” In this case they should be taught the basics of everything, and somewhere along the way they will eventually figure out what they want to do.

Considering all of that, the curriculum should be changed in order to help students not only know what to do while in college, but they will also have some experience in the field of their choice.