Designing new West building continues through coronavirus outbreak

As+building+mock-ups+continue%2C+more+details+continue+to+be+released.++This+screen+shot+from+the+last+meeting+shows+changes+to+the+athletic+facilities+and+campus.+

Kathryn Broderius

As building mock-ups continue, more details continue to be released. This screen shot from the last meeting shows changes to the athletic facilities and campus.

Kathryn Broderius, Staff Writer

While the coronavirus continues to be ever present in Greeley and the old building sits empty, plans for the new Greeley West are still moving forward as planned. 

Since the initial plan was decided upon back in early March, the DAG committee has continued to work on a more in-depth design. This has entailed both the interior and exterior layout of athletic facilities, school placement and parking areas. Moving forward, steps are being taken to fine tune each aspect of the design so that every space is in alignment with the end goal. Collaboration between the committee members and contracted design team have been fluent and well received as each comment and concern has been addressed fully as they arise. 

Physical education teacher and DAG committee member, Mr. Ryan Walstrom explained the collaboration with the design team and said, “The AP/HCM Build-Design team has done a phenomenal job holding several meetings between administration, staff, and the Greeley/Evans community. From these meetings, and where we are now in the design process, they have and are continuing to take the advice and incorporate everything possible and realistic within the project’s guiding principles, vision statement, and budget given.” 

Some of the updates to note include the athletic facility layout that include a newly arranged tennis courts, a throwing pit for track and field as well as updated baseball and softball fields. In addition to the outside areas, new seating areas for outdoor eating and learning have been introduced. Inside refinement has occurred with spaces such as the media area and performing arts gaining a sounds room.  

From the mock ups, it looks like they’ll be incorporating lots of display cases to showcase not only pieces of work from current students, but artifacts from West’s storied history. I’m most excited for the windows, bright open hallways, and the patio off the hub,” explained counselor, Ms. Kelly Stephens.

Next steps in the process will include meeting with specific departments again to review their unique spaces in detail over the next few weeks. The DAG committee will reconvene in late April to do a full schematic review of the design, with the additional changes made. The design team and DAG committee’s goal still remains to incorporate West’s spirit and tradition at heart throughout the entire process while creating a state of the art, functional facility.