Summer protesting leads to more student involvement in political change

Tani Schuttler, Staff Writer

Summer 2020 was a crazy time for everyone. However, it also sparked much deep thinking and many progressive movements that help fight against the racial and social injustice minorities see and experience every day. 

Technology, this year alone, has broken barriers, allowing us to communicate and reinforce a positive future for everyone. Also, to destroy racial injustice and tear down the stereotypes and prejudices we build against those we are not familiar with.

The Black Lives Matter movement has become very prevalent over these last few months, and the conversation is vital to a lot of Greeley West students. 

Throughout the United States, many protests and rallies were held supporting the BLM movement, and many Greeley West students attended these events over the summer. 

Greeley West alumni Kylie Shay said, “It was my first [protest], and I didn’t really know what to expect.” Shay went to the local Black Lives Matter protest this summer at Monfort Park and was eager to be involved. She said, “I listened, I learned, I gained perspective. I sat in moments of silence and marched in crowds with chants.” 

Her experience was very enlightening and immensely helped to prompt change. To keep the conversation going about injustice, she has done many tasks to give her support.  For example, Shay has, “signed [petitions] and donated what [she] could spare to each one, including a much larger donation put together by the company [she] works for.”

Shay is expanding her knowledge of current events outside of just the Black Lives Matter movement and wants to make her voice heard on such issues as human trafficking, minority families, and immigration detention centers. She is signing petitions and keeping herself informed to promote an even more significant change in the community and throughout the world. 

Another Greeley West student who is also doing what they can to help the black community and who attended a protest this summer is senior, Chance Clemons. 

Clemons attended a few protests this summer and said, “The energy at the protest was dope because we had a huge group of people together that all had the same goal in mind…[and] black people are so willing to stand up and fight for equality that we risked our safety to come together during a pandemic.” 

He is active in the community of Greeley in so many ways. He is increasing the number of ways he can help every day by signing petitions, and progressively educating himself and others. His goal is to, “…become an activist in his community.”  

Clemons says that the youth and non-youth of this country can, “Vote and spread awareness about how unequal this country is and (send a) message to the youth to stay strong and educate yourself on your history because that knowledge will help you maneuver your way through life.” 

Clemons said his insight on this issue has substantially grown, but he is eager to learn even more and encouraged other Greeley West students to do the same.