Socially distanced West-Central Week will bring school spirit, traditions back next week

Jaziel Soto, Staff Writer

The tradition will continue.

This week, the Greeley West Student Council announced that there will be Homecoming this year. Ms. Lea Sanford and the Student Council began voting on Wednesday.

This year’s Homecoming will serve double-duty, as its also the West-Central football game.  There won’t be a dance, but there will be royalty announced.

Student Council was approached by the administration and were asked what fun activities they could do this year during the remote learning process. Sanford explained that they were charged with some creative and outside of the box ideas.

Student council worked very hard to come up with some safe but fun ways to celebrate Homecoming. The first way is via voting.  Students started the nomination process this week via an online Google form

Since the gym won’t be a safe spot for the entire student body, Student Council will hold the traditional pep assembly virtually.  The pep assembly will include senior football students speaking about their upcoming West vs Central game, the unveiling of the royalty, celebrations for fall sports, and videos of the band, cheerleaders and Poms performing. 

There won’t be a Car Caravan this year because of COVID.  However, Student Council came up with the idea to host a shoebox parade during homeroom.  Students will create a box car in place of the real thing. 

In addition, there will be spirit days all next week to excite the student body about the game.  

Student council was very excited to make this news. “ I feel that finding ways to celebrate is the most important thing for student council at this time of year,” Sanford said. “So many school traditions have been set aside and we thought this was the one way we could build some school spirit and culture.”