Spartans work toward new normal through hybrid learning

Steven, Staff Writer

Covid-19 has impacted Greeley West as a whole for the first three months of the school year. The hybrid schedule (with students with the last names A-L going to school on Mondays and Tuesdays while M-Z attends school on Thursday and Friday) has afforded students the opportunity to be able to attend in person learning once more.

Student and staff opinion is varied, but they all agree that it has been good to back in class.  “Students prefer in person learning,” math teacher Ms. Cheryl Johnson said.

For West junior Zahairah Lopez, being back at school has made a difference in his grades.  “When I was online, it was harder. This schedule is better than staying at home.”

One of the pieces of the year that students like the least is the cohort process.  While separating alphabetically may keep the spread down, it also separates people who have been attending class together for years.  Sophomore Mackenzie Benavidez said, “I don’t get to see my friends because they are in the other cohort.”

The quarter system also has its detractors – especially those who are taking a year-round or AP/IB class.  Lopez said, “Switching between quarters can be confusing because you might forget what you learned by the time you go back into the same quarter again.”

There is also a lot of information being packed into three months. Benavidez stated the three month of class was “stressful” in the first term.   

Students at Greeley West are not the only ones getting used to the change. Teachers also have to adapt how they teach their students and their new virtual classrooms. Social studies teacher Mr. Ky Dietz said he is, “stressed about the students understanding the work. Hopefully next year (things are back to normal) as long as we are safe.”

Teachers do their best to teach virtually and in person at the same time. Music teacher Mr. Tom Nugent stated, “(We’re making) the best of a not so good situation.”