Student Council continues to represent student body in pandemic

Eli Torrez, Staff Writer

School spirit doesn’t just happen. It takes students getting involved, showing up for each other, and showing an interest in the success of the school.

For Greeley West’s Student Council members, school pride is the reason they exist. Senior Rylee Imus explained, “Our goal is to fairly represent the student body, and be a collective voice for the hundreds of kids enrolled at West.”   

One of the Student Council’s recent projects was last week’s Spirit Week. Sophomore Yasmine Adams said they are also discussing and activity for Thanksgiving.

The thanksgiving project is still in development but Adams said, “Student council is trying to find ways to support families during Thanksgiving.”

She said they are also talking about doing a “…food drive (with safety precautions) raising money, or create food baskets and hand deliver them to families.” 

There are a lot of benefits to being involved in school sponsored groups like the Student Council. Adams, has been involved in student council since third grade. She likes the opportunity Student Council gives her to get involved in school and develop her leadership skills. Adams really enjoys the projects and activities she’s been involved in over the years.

Imus’s most rewarding part of participation has been working with her fellow officers to get events like Homecoming/Prom and pep assemblies done. She really enjoys creating successful events that students attend. Experts in education report that students who get involved do better in school, feel more connected to peers, and feel more school pride.

If you are interested in getting involved, Adams said you can, “Support Student Council by participating in activities we orchestrate. Give feedback on those activities, encourage other students to participate, and present more ideas that [the] student council can do in the future.”

Imus said it’s always possible to join Student Council at any time.  “For other students hoping to get involved, they can contact Ms, Sanford or senior officers for more information,” Imus said.