District should set up system to get students into buildings at least once a week

Hunter Redfern, Editorialist

Lile every other high school kid last March, I was very happy with the idea of a two week spring break. Then two weeks turned into three, and three turned into the entire school year. Summer happened, and life went sort of back to normal. When school started, I was so excited to finally be able to come back and see my friends, while learning in person. First quarter went by, no problems. Half way through the second quarter, we are going to remote learning again. Two weeks quickly turned into the whole quarter. 

When I received the news, I immediately lost all motivation in school. I stopped trying, stopped showing up to class, and stopped turning assignments in. Why was I going to fight for good grades if the school district wasn’t going to fight for my learning? According to a survey by Educators for Excellence, 65% of high school teachers said that class participation was much worse online than it was in person. If students all over aren’t trying online, what is the point of doing it? 

To me, it would make much more sense to break us into 5 or 10 groups, and have at least one day or a half of a day every week to go in person to get the help that we need from teachers. I do not learn online well; I am a very hands on learner. Most high school students are this way as well. That one day or half a day of in person help could be all the motivation needed to get students to try again and get their failing grades up.