Spartans get back to “All for One” at opening assembly

Greeley+West+seniors+rally+and+cheer+during+the+schools+opening+day+assembly+on+Thursday+morning.++

Nathaniel Rudolph

Greeley West seniors rally and cheer during the school’s opening day assembly on Thursday morning.

West Word Staff

In 2019, COVID-19 took over everyone’s lives, pushing students into online learning and disrupting societies natural rhythm. However today, the Greeley West students and staff were able to bring back school spirit, dawning a new sense of normality. 

Instead of gathering in the gym, students flocked to the football field for the outdoor assembly. This was an attempt by staff to get students back together and build back school spirit that was lost during the pandemic. Assistant Principal Ms. Amanda Jones said the goal was to get the student body jazzed for the year. “We wanted to get you out and around and being excited to be back in school,” Jones said. 

Activities at the assembly included performances from the cheer and Poms teams, races both robotic and aquatic, and class cheers for the spirit stick. The classes gathered to watch the robotics club showcase their claw bots and competition robot. Then the students turned their attention to a relay race featuring water balloons.

Social studies teacher, Mr. Stephen Paulson received a pie in the face. There was some confusion by the student body about why he received a pie in the face. Each relay team had a teacher assigned, by grade level, and if their team won, they would get the honor of tasting whipped cream. “It was a stupid activity, but I did what I had to do,” Paulson said. 

Even though the assembly was out of the ordinary, the student body seemed to enjoy being outside and with their friends again, regardless of sound problems and poor visibility.   Sophomore Destiny Morgan said healing from time away was beginning and that the assembly was a start, even with some of its logistical problems.  “Being at the assembly was really nice since we never really had any (last year),” Morgan said.  “But it was hard to try to participate because we didn’t really get the chants and things.” 

Editor’s Note – This year’s newspaper staff worked on this story together collaboratively.  Stay tuned for individual stories throughout the year.