It’s voting time at Greeley West High

Mr. Ryan Pace and Mrs. Cambrie Mertinez work with students to create campaign posters for upcoming elections.

Maddie Zeller

Maddie Zeller, Staff Writer

Greeley West students, it’s voting time!

This week in Homeroom, students will not only be voting for new Student Council members, but will also be voting for class officials as well. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic that rattled high school traditions, students were not able to vote for representation and leadership positions in the last school year.

“Last year sucked! It was difficult, and I felt that whenever students would try to organize ideas, they would get shut down because of COVID and a general lack of school spirit,” STUCO sponsor Ms. Lea Sanford, said.

Now that school is more or less back to normal, it’s time for the student government to get back at it too. “Teachers and students have worked really hard to make (elections) happen. It did take a while to do though” said freshman class president candidate Anastasia Rodriguez.

Although the process has been delayed, elections are now in full swing. Many students are running for a variety of positions. Student council allows students to be actively involved in what happens to their friends and peers in and out of the classroom. Class representation and Student Council elections can be a rigorous process, but it is all worthwhile in the end. 

Any student can get involved in class leadership and school wide student council opportunities. There is a weekly commitment with meetings supervised by Mr. Stephen Paulson, Mr. Ryan Pace, and Sanford. Together they work with students on projects, events, and fundraisers just to name a few.

Class representation and Student Council create an outlet for students to voice opinions and concerns that mutually benefit the entire GWHS community. Student body president candidate, Senior Taninian Schuttler said, “I have always wanted to run for student body president in order to be involved in leadership here at school.”

Students will be voting for leadership positions today  and the results will be announced soon.