Greeley West after-school tutoring kicks off next week

Mikaela Munoz, Staff Writer

There are many reasons why students may find themselves at after-school tutoring. Fortunately for Greeley West students who need that extra push, help is on the way.

Starting on Tuesday of next week, students can get help from teachers Monday through Thursday after school in the library.  The tutors can help students with any classes they are having trouble with or aren’t quite understanding. Tutoring will end on December 9.  Help will be available from 3:30 p.m. until 5 p.m. Teachers from every subject will be available to help students with homework and studying.

The types of students who took advantage of tutoring last year were diverse.  Some students are too busy with sports or busy with their own personal lives outside of school and fall behind on homework. Others can get misguided by distractions such as technology as soon as they get home or when they finally have free time to do school work. Students also might not understand the homework but can’t get a hold of their teachers because of internet issues or the teachers aren’t paying attention to their emails from home. 

After school tutoring can help all these different types of students with any classes they are having trouble with or aren’t quite understanding.  Sometimes, the tutors are even students!  Junior Jilly Huang tutored all of last year.  “I think if people aren’t really comfortable with asking teachers questions, a student helping them makes them more comfortable,” Huang said.

Huang helps most with math.  “I mostly help with math and I can do any math. I’ve been through Calculus, AP Stats, and then the rest and I really enjoy math so helping like really makes me happy,” Huang said.

Huang said teachers help too. “There is usually like three to four permanent teachers that help with math and English mostly,¨ Huang said.

For students who don’t have the chance to come after school, West also offers tutoring during multiple Saturdays.  Those days start at 9 a.m. and are on the following dates:  September 25, October 30, December 4, and December 11. 

Assistant Principal Mr. Aaron Allen is very excited for this year’s tutoring program.  “My job as an administrator is to make sure that we have teachers in all different areas to support students so we have math, English, world languages, social studies, science, all the electives so that there is somebody they can go to to get help.”

Allen said the extra tutoring time can help in multiple ways. “So tutoring a lot of times help with late work and missing work and upcoming work, but it can also be a place for you to just work on things that you need to become proficient.

Allen also said that tutoring might happen online this year. “I think we can provide virtual support for tutoring as well for quarantined students,” Allen said.