Spartans share Halloween traditions, experiences

Mikaela Munoz, Staff Writer

Fall is here and with the season change comes pumpkin spices, beautiful sceneries, and candy packs for Halloween. Many schools celebrate Halloween with the community by doing a trunk-or-treat for children. Greeley West High School students and staff are not like other high schools though and we have other ideas to celebrate Halloween with our community and in school while getting an education.

With children enjoying the fun of dressing up and getting candy to eat in one day, they can also enjoy doing activities such as tug-o-war or a piggy back race. Secretary Ms. Arron Kunkel \came up with the idea of a “simple carnival for little kids such as bean bag tossing and candy being the prize” to do at a trunk-or-treat this year at her kid’s school. Little carnival games can bring joy to children and give them a healthy amount of social interactions with others. 

With fewer people dressing up for Halloween since 2019 and less Halloween spirit being celebrated, Ethan Sinclair would like to “encourage more kids to dress up for Halloween.” Encouraging fellow classmates to dress up could be a lot of fun just as it was when we were all in elementary school. Enjoying the last years of our childhood by dressing up as anything we want before we all become exhausted adults with low wages and drowning in student loan debt for those who plan to go to college. Having costume contest with prizes fit for different categories of Halloween costumes.

Spending time with family during Halloween is just as fun as being with friends at school and celebrating. Senior and Falissa Flores, suggested “go to the pumpkin patch.” It’s a way of bonding and spending time with family members especially if time isn’t always an advantage with some families. Picking pumpkins with family is always fun and carving them is even better. Everyone laughs with the silly pumpkin designs and creativity. The mess pumpkins leave afterwards are always worth the laughter and cheers of families getting along after a long month of stress.

Fall is such a wonderful season and can be better for students at Greeley West High School with these wonderful ideas. With Halloween right around the corner, we hope we can make Halloween different and exhilarating this year, in 2021.