Preschools steal nap times we definitely need now

High school students need more sleep.  Maybe its time to bring back nap-time.

Unsplashed.com

High school students need more sleep. Maybe it’s time to bring back nap-time.

Tanian Schuttler, Editorialist

Sitting here today, I am groggily typing this editorial. I am sleepily using the last ounce of productivity in my brain to write this column. This story’s importance is astronomical in aiding student lifestyle. 

Since before we can remember, “nap-time” was a necessity in childhood and preschool.

Were we, as young children, napping to help keep our circadian rhythm stable or to let the staff have a break from rowdy, rambunctious kids? Whatever the reason may be, I have discovered that nap time is precious now – as a high schooler. 

I remember those long lost days of the past where we were forced to nap during the prime of childhood. Everyone in the preschool building was reluctant to rest because we wanted nothing more than to play with our crush on the playground. But now, as times have changed, we need naps during the day and relationships can wait. 

The only problem is there’s no time in students’ day! After school practice, family obligations, and work steps in the way of a valuable sleep schedule. If we’re changing things up so much with school schedules, maybe it’s time to bring back nap time! 

According to How Naps Affect Your Brain and Why You Should Have One Every Day by Belle Beth Coopers, “Sleep experts have found that daytime naps can improve many things: increase alertness, boost creativity, reduce stress, improve perception, stamina, motor skills and accuracy, aid in weight loss, reduce the risk of heart attack, brighten your mood and boost memory.” . 

So why not get a little crazy and implement naps in daily life? Could it be more beneficial to get rid of Homeroom and bring in naps? I’m just typing off the top of my head here. But at this point, I’d do anything for some nap time. 

Additionally, having naps during the day could be the only opportunity for some students to implement self-care in their schedules. Self-care is a very important thing in daily life because taking care of yourself can ensure that you can properly care for others around you. 

There is no reason why we shouldn’t be making nap-time for high schoolers a permanent deal. 

Let’s take nap-time from preschoolers – who don’t even want it – and give them the lessons on building college resumes!  What’s not to love?