Teachers should stop extending deadlines for late work

Ruby Chavez Ramirez receives extra help from Mr. Peter Jakus.

Priscilla Valencia, Editorialist

The end of the semester is coming and finals have made reemerged. That is making students nervous whether or not their grade will rise or drop. Here at West, teachers are given the option to either give out a test or do a project for their students’ final. 

It is also that time of year where students ask for extra credit or try to turn in an assignment four months late. Teachers are known to spend so much of their time creating lesson plans and grading past/present assignments, but sometimes they do not have the time to go back and grade assignments from the past since it is time consuming.  

Students also need to learn the skill of time management and know that in colleges and universities, late assignments will not be taken. If they are given the opportunity to turn in assignments late, then that would just encourage the students to procrastinate during the initial time that it is due.

In my judgement teachers should limit the amount of time given to students to turn in assignments; this can be beneficial to both students and teachers. Teachers would be able to move on a quicker pace and not have to be held back on grading as well and students would not procrastinate as much and get more of a taste of college-like experience.