Broncos Nation stunned at Thomas’ passing

Xavier Michnewicz, Staff Writer

Denver Broncos legend Demaryius Thomas passed away at the age of 33.

Thomas meant a lot to the hearts of so many Greeley West staff and students. He was selected in the 2010 draft along with former teammate Tim Tebow which kicked off an era of amazing Broncos football. He would have turned 34 on Christmas Day.

Sophomore Kaden Waugh said,“He was an inspiration to many people. He was on top of Colorado. When everyone in the state respects someone you know he is a real inspiration. He was so much different from NFL players for on and off the field aspects. He was never controversial and a true inspiration to many.”

Thomas had five straight pro bowls from 2012-2016 in which he was amongst the Super Bowl 50 team and one of the best offenses in Denver Broncos history, the 2013 Denver Broncos. 

Sophomore Zaren Maldonaldo said, “DT and Von Miller were truly the reason why I fell in love with football and the Denver Broncos. After the OT win when I was a little kid against the Pittsburgh Steelers, I was in love. I am truly blessed to have had the opportunity to to wake up on a Sunday morning, turn on the TV and watch DT marching down the sideline for a huge gain. Those moments I will miss and they will never be forgotten.”

Thomas had many memorable moments with the Denver Broncos such as the overtime catch against the Steelers in the AFC wildcard game, which won them the game. 

Even though the Broncos lost Super Bowl XLVII, Thomas had one of the best games as a wide receiver in Super Bowl history. He had caught 13 passes for 118 yards. The 13 catches were the most receptions in a Super Bowl  at the time. 

He was a Superstar for the Denver Broncos, spending eight years with them and racking up 665 receptions on 9,055 yards along with 60 touchdowns in 125 games.

Thomas will be missed in the hearts of many Broncos Fans.