Weather forecast has students hoping for snow day or late start

Bret Tjomsland, Staff Writer

Make no mistake about it, Greeley West students have been hoping for a snow day this year. It has not come to pass, but a snowstorm hitting the region tonight is reason to believe once again.  Meteorologists are calling for 6-8 inches of snow over night with bitterly cold temperatures in the negatives.

With recent snow storms and very cold temperatures that impacted drives to and from school, District 6 chose not to  delay or go online for the day. Many other districts, including Adams County, Denver Public Schools, Douglas County School District, and Cherry Creek School District were among those that have cancelled, delayed, and even gone remote for snow days in the past two weeks.

During the past two snow storms, many students have arrived late or didn’t bother to show up at all due to unplowed roads, sidewalks, and even the Greeley West student parking lot not being plowed. This has not gone unnoticed by staff.   Social studies teacher Mr. Donald Wagner said, “Well, I do think a late start would be nice in situations like this last storm that happened overnight. The conditions were bad for students waiting at bus stops, walking here; families and staff trying to drive in was a challenge.  Many first hour classes were under 50% full.”

Wagner said that the late start schedule, published on the Greeley Schools website has rarely been used.  “A late start would have been a great idea to allow for snow removal on roads, parking, and sidewalks.  I’ve been here 27 years and I believe the late start has been used one time,” Wagner said.

Student drivers at West were also concerned about the decision-making on morning commutes.  Senior Elize Moore hopes this storm will have different results.  “I think they should have cancelled or delayed (during the last storm) because we have had some not nice snow days, and even if the snow melted it is just safer for teachers and students to be given that time to be safer driving and stay off the roads,” Moore said. 

Students and staff will know for sure in the coming hours, as the storm rolls in.