Spartan Arcade opens with VR system as part of business project

Greeley+West+athletic+director+Mr.+Ryan+Hilbig+plays+Beat+Saber+on+the+Oculus+Rift+in+room+604A.++You%2C+too%2C+can+enjoy+the+experience+for+just+three+dollars.+

Dylan Gesick

Greeley West athletic director Mr. Ryan Hilbig plays Beat Saber on the Oculus Rift in room 604A. You, too, can enjoy the experience for just three dollars.

Dylan Gesick, Staff Writer

Senior Greeley West High School of Business students have been hard at work this past week on their latest project, dubbed “The Spartan Arcade.” 

With this project, their goal is to open, operate, and make profit in a six-week time span. The money made will go to help fund the senior business students next year with whatever business they decide to run. The main goal for the students is to learn the ins and outs of business operations to prepare themselves for the business world once they graduate. 

The business includes an Oculus VR system with beat saber and two Nintendo Switches with classics like Mario Kart and Super Smash Bros. The business makes for a great area to hang out and play games with your friends during lunch time. The team is charging $3 per game.  The longer you play, the more your investment is worth. 

Most of these kids have been in the business program at West for all four years of high school. Together all 15 of the students have earned 261 college credits in total, with more on the way as the school year comes to an end.

Ms. Kory Zulauf, the lead teacher for the project, stated, “Even though I want all my kids to succeed, I enjoy watching them grow through the challenges that the business has gone through, even through this first week.” 

She continued, “This group of students has practically grown up together these past four years and it’s a bond you can see as they run the business that they came up with. I am excited to see how it is doing by Week 6, and definitely come and check it out students!”  

Every week day, four students run the business during lunch in 604A. They have made their own schedules and rules to keep themselves accountable. 

The business students have also partnered up with the E-Sports club, who provided the Switches, in order to help promote the club and gain some professional relationships. Because of E-Sports providing the Switches, the business class has decided to donate the Oculus as a thank you to the club. 

Senior Eddie Hart is optimistic about the business. “I am excited to see how it goes and how it grows. We all said that even if it ends up failing it won’t matter, the experience and learning from the project will be the most valuable thing gained.” Hart said. 

Swing by Zulauf’s classroom for some fun and games to help support the business classes at Greeley West High School.