Customized weight room ready to help students bulk up

Greeley Wests logo will be everywhere when the new weight room opens after Spring Break.

Greeley West’s logo will be everywhere when the new weight room opens after Spring Break.

Dylan Gesick, Staff Writer

As spring break approaches for Greeley West, the transition is beginning for moving into the new school. All of the outside portable classes, the theater classes, and gym classes will be moving. The excitement for the move seems it has reached its peak, especially in the gym classes who have been very flexible the past two years. 

Gym teachers have had to adapt to losing the wrestling room, auxiliary gym, and the weight room itself. At the moment all gym classes are in the main gym, with a quarter of the gym being used as the temporary weight room. 

Ms. Jennifer Gudahl, a Greeley West physical education teacher, is excited for the opportunities in the new weight room. “We are only taking a few things from the old weight room.  We are taking the rubber plates for outside workouts with the new garage doors that will be in the weight room.”

The new weight room will be an asset for diversifying the process of bulking up.  Gudahl said, “Some of this equipment is a hundred years old. We are very excited for the new equipment. The new room will give us more versatility and will help us accommodate where kids are individually, because it is an individual based class.”

The new equipment will all be brand new, state of the art equipment. Each piece will be customized to show Spartan pride and motivate both students and athletes alike to work hard and show school pride.

“I am hoping we take really good care of the equipment and the kids and faculty buy into that too. We want to make sure that it is ready for whoever is coming in next,” Gudahl said.

Gudahl believes that pride will carry over.  “I think kids will start getting excited about getting into the weight room. The attitude with them is (excitement) because it’s bigger than the area we are in now and bigger than the old room. It’s got an appealing kind of feeling to it,” Gudahl said. 

She is also excited for the impact the new gym will have with other local schools. “Local middle schools will take most of the old equipment, almost everything will be new for us so its great we can help because they don’t have as much equipment in middle schools,” Gudahl said. 

The weight room is one of the many aspects of the new building that will help give Greeley West new motivation as hopefully it will motivate students, athletes, and teachers to turn around athletics.