Three West seniors awarded Daniels Fund scholarship

Maddie Zeller, Staff Writer

The Daniels Fund Scholarship is one of the most prestigious and competitive scholarships that a student can receive. This past week, three Greeley West seniors have been awarded the scholarship and are ready to start their journeys off to college.

Rasheed Garza, Brenden Folsom, and Ali Lone have all received the scholarship out of so many that applied this year. The application process was not done without the support. “Being awarded with this scholarship still hasn’t quite sunk in for me, but I feel very fortunate to be given the opportunity all thanks to the help of my teachers and family,” said Folsom. 

As much as Scholarship interviewers look for the “perfect student,” a big key to showing these groups what potential that you have as a student is being yourself throughout the interview process. Garza said, “My biggest piece of advice that I would give to other students who want to apply for Daniels Fund would be to show the interviewers who you are as a person. If you try to hide who you are as a person, than at the end of the day it won’t really be a genuine reward for the work that you have put in.”

All three students went into the application process in a genuine way that represents their experiences throughout high school. All three have plans to get the most out of their college experiences with the scholarship. “I plan to use the money on tuition, books, living expenses, all of those things that can cause some stress to families are going to be taken care of which is a big relief,” said Lone.