Hail to the Spartans! Football wins first game in over two seasons 

Xavier Michnewicz, Staff Writer

The Greeley West football team ended a losing streak of 20 games with its 23-7 victory against Mountain Range High School Friday night in Thornton.  The Spartans got the goose egg off of their record and the proverbial monkey off of their back. 

QuaterBack Julian Salas said, “It feels amazing ending the 20-game losing streak today leading Greeley West to a win. The look on the seniors faces at the end of the game is something I’ll never forget. I’m proud to be part of this team along side my brothers.”

The defense, led by linebackers Ricardo Castillo and David Lopez, forced two turnovers and safety in their domination. The offense led by running back Jose Salas and quarterback Julian Salas had two rushing touchdowns.

Along with the defense’s safety, they also got a 65-yard interception return for a touchdown  in the 4th quarter by Ricardo Castillo that added the final touch the Spartans’ win. 

Castillo said, “It felt  great to win the first game of the season off of my pick six. Being a senior and seeing all of the other senior classes go out with no wins… this was for them.”

With the win, the football team hopes to change the culture and win more games this season. 

“We knew we could change the culture since Day 1. These are my brothers and I’m with them until the end. That will never change,” David Lopez said.