New Spanish teachers eager to help students reach dreams

Mr. Saul Reyes works with his freshmen Spanish I class last week.

Joel Soto

Joel Soto, Staff Writer

One of the new Greeley West faculty members is focused on helping students build their communication skills and getting them ready for the real world. Reyes believes Spanish opens many doors to individuals. “Spanish helps students by giving them opportunities such as getting better jobs, getting to know more people and being more cultural” Reyes stated. 

His name is Mr. Saul Reyes and his method is going to be through Spanish language. “I hope to help kids in any way possible such as fulfilling any goal that they come across,” Reyes said. 

Reyes is actually an experienced teacher of 16 years, whose most recent job was at Garland Country Day School in Denver. There he taught different levels of Spanish up to Spanish 4 to 5th-8th graders. 

Reyes wants his students to be immersed in Spanish. He said that at other jobs, it is very regular to have students only speak Spanish in the classroom and that he hopes to build this tradition at Greeley West.  

By becoming better communicators in a foreign language, Reyes said he hopes to help students see the big picture for their future.  “Greeley West strives to give students the opportunity to make reality of their dreams,” Reyes stated. 

Reyes teaches a variety of Spanish classes and age groups. This year, he will teach Spanish 1, Spanish 2, and DP Spanish 2. Reyes feels that teaching a Spanish 1 class is very different from a more advanced one as he says, “In DP Spanish they take it seriously as compared to the others they don’t know how to be students yet.”

Reyes went to the University of Northern Colorado for the beginning of college and finished at the  University of Colorado with his Masters Degree in ESL. Reyes also has a background in coaching.  In the past, he coached 8-10 year old soccer.  

Reyes came back to Greeley for family reasons, but Greeley West offered him a chance to continue in his profession.  He is excited to because of the history of the school.  “Greeley West has great tradition, teachers, and students who are very interesting but with desires to learn., Reyes said.