Students find difficulty navigating new hallways

Students maneuver the hallways near the Hub last week during B lunch.

Anna Elliott

Anna Elliott, Staff Writer

The amount of students in Greeley West has increased dramatically since the year 2021-2022, growing from a little over 1700 to over 1900 students in just a couple months. More students means more crowds in the school. 

Coming into the year and into the school has been very different for all students and getting to class is a huge change. There’s now stairs that the students have to face while getting to those classes. With all the students in the main hallway and stair cases, there’s chaos.

Some students have said that the hallways are worse than the “Hub” at the old Greeley West, making it almost impossible to make it to class on time. 

Although we’re a couple weeks into the year and the hallways and staircases are getting better, there’s still tons of students crowding around and making it difficult for people to get through. Senior Allison Malson is one student who found it difficult to get to classes.  “(It) depends on the time and hall you’re coming from, but the halls are still packed during passing periods. Not as tight as it was in the old building, but still stuffy.”

Students of all ages and sizes find it difficult to get through the halls. Senior Michael Flores said the amount of kids in the hall is already exceeding building expectations.  “The hallways…we decided the max was 1,800 students and now there are over 1,900 students in the hallways. Five minute passing periods and with all the students takes over 10 minutes to get across the school and approximately eight of those 10 minutes is getting up the stairs. Moral of the story is: the hallways are the worst,” Flores said.

This is something the students have to get used to while the year goes on, but most are hoping it’ll become better quite soon.